Getting all-too-frequent notifications about your data usage? Suddenly spending a ton of time playing Pokémon GO?It can be easy to slide right past your data limit each month, but you can probably manage your data better to stay under your limit. Try these tips to prevent yourself from slurping your data!
- Wi-fi, wi-fi, wi-fi. Use free wi-fi, safely, wherever it’s available.
- Make a rule for yourself not to send or post photos or video if you’re not on wi-fi. Uploading images and video will slice through your data like nobody’s business.
- Same with streaming music—enjoy those apps when you’re on wi-fi and not on your mobile plan. Consider loading some music onto your device so you’ll always have tunes available, even if you can’t find free wi-fi.
- Take a look at your email management. If you have email downloading automatically, it may be using massive amounts of data. Set your email so that attachments don’t download automatically, or so that you get headers only. Best of all, set email so that it only downloads when you tell it to.
- Check your location services. Many apps use your location, and if they’re drawing on that information all the time, it can use a lot of data. If you’re really in data trouble, turn off location services, but for general data management, check which apps are using your location and turn off location services for apps you don’t need to use that info.
- Finally, if all else fails, talk to your carrier. Many carriers update plans from time to time, and you may be able to find another plan that suits your needs better.