Are you ready for the new update? iOS 12 brings a lot of performance changes and new features to your Apple devices. The update will roll out on existing iPhones (5S and newer), iPads (iPad Air and newer) and the new iPhone/iPad models. Here’s a complete list of compatible devices for iOS 12.
While you might be ready, your devices may not be. Our tech experts came up with these three tips to help prepare your iPhones and iPads for the new update.
Back up all of your devices before installing iOS 12
There are two places to back up your device, iCloud and iTunes.
How to back up your iPhone or iPad to iCloud
- Connect to Wi-Fi.
- Open Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup > Back up now.
How to back up your iPhone or iPad to iTunes
- Open iTunes and connect your phone to your computer with a lightning cable.
- Unlock your phone and click Trust this Computer (if it appears).
- Click the Device icon in the top-left corner, then click Summary. To back up Health date, click Encrypt and create a password.
- Under Backups, click Back up now.
Clean your device storage before updating to iOS 12
Before downloading the update, you will probably need to make some space for it. Checking storage space availability is a great place to start.
Tap Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
Once you’re there, you can see how much storage you use, what takes up the most space and how much memory you have left.
This is a great opportunity to do a little device housekeeping. Clearing out old text conversations, parting ways with old music, and deleting pictures and videos are all great ways to make some room.
- Messages – If your texts take up a lot of memory, delete some conversations. Tip: Focus on the conversations with a lot of media.
- Photos and videos – Both of these take up a ton of storage space. Try and part ways with screenshots, duplicates and blurry pictures. If you don’t want to delete them, back them up on iCloud and then move them off your phone.
- Apps – Remember those apps you downloaded but never used? It’s time to hold down the ‘X’ in the top right corner and tap delete.
- Music – Take a good, hard look at your music library and say goodbye to the albums and songs you’re ready to remove from your phone.
How to update to iOS 12
You’re almost there! Before you update, make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi and is charged to at least 75%.
- Open Settings > General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and install. Follow the instructions to update your software.
Your device will restart and install the new update. Check out the new features available in iOS 12 here.
Want more tips to help you get the most out of iOS 12? Asurion’stech experts can help you learn, grow and do more with your technology!