When you plug in your laptop, and everything is working as it should, you see that reassuring battery icon somewhere in the corner of your screen. So if you don't see it, and everything else is working fine, there could be something wrong with your battery. We'll walk you through what you should do.
At uBreakiFix® by Asurion, our experts know how to tackle tough tech problems, from ways to make your battery last longer to outright replacing them. Here’s how you can fix an Asus® laptop battery that’s not charging.
Why is my Asus laptop battery not charging?
Identifying the root cause is the first step to finding a solution to your Asus battery troubles. Several factors could be responsible, including:
- Hardware issues. Your lack of power could come from a damaged power cord, a faulty charger, or problems with the charging port.
- Battery health. Your laptop’s battery has reached the end of its lifespan.
- Driver or software issues. Outdated or corrupt drivers can prevent proper charging.
- Power management settings. Incorrect power management settings in your operating system can also lead to charging issues.
What to do when your Asus battery won’t charge
If your Asus won’t charge, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered. Start with the troubleshooting basics:
- Check your power cord and charger for any signs of damage.
- Make sure the outlet is working and the connection to your laptop is secure.
- Check for hardware damage around the charging port.
- Turn off the laptop and remove the battery (if your battery is easily accessible).
Still having battery issues? Try these more advanced steps.
1. Update or reinstall your drivers
Your laptop's battery drivers—files that tell parts of your computer what to do—might need a refresh. Head to the Device Manager, find the battery drivers under “Batteries,” and right-click to update. If this doesn’t work, try uninstalling and then reinstalling them.
2. Adjust your power settings
Check your power management settings and make sure they’re set for battery health and charging. You can find these settings in the Control Panel under "Power Options."
3. BIOS update
BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System, and it's the software responsible for most of your laptop's basic software functions. An outdated BIOS can be behind battery charging issues. Check your laptop model on the Asus website for the latest BIOS version and follow their instructions for how to update it.
You’ll need specialized files and programs to update your Asus laptop BIOS software, so you may want to contact an Asus repair expert.
4. Replace the battery
If your Asus laptop's battery still isn’t charging or you notice your laptop only turn on when it’s connected to the charger, chances are you need to replace your battery.
The experts at your nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion can quickly help with your Asus laptop battery replacement.