December 20th, 2021
How to clean your laptop screen
Your laptop screen can get filthy fast, especially if you use it every day. Cleaning your device regularly can help keep the dust, grime, and coffee stains under control. But be careful: Sanitizing your screen the wrong way can make more of a mess and even damage your computer.
At Asurion, we help millions of people fix, troubleshoot, and get the most out of their home technology. From speeding up a slow laptop to learning how much memory your computer needs, we keep the devices you rely on most working all day, every day. Here are our tips for the best ways to safely clean your laptop screen.
How to clean dust from laptop screens
Laptops get dirty, and dust is the number one culprit. Fortunately, it's easy to remove. You can do so safely by using the right supplies and following a few simple steps.
Shut down your laptop
Always unplug and turn off your device before you clean your laptop screen. It's safer and will make it easier to see the debris.
Use a microfiber cloth
- Gently wipe the screen with a clean, dry, microfiber cloth. Never use paper towels or tissues—their fibers may leave lint behind or scratch the screen.
- Press gently on the display and wipe in one direction—don't wipe in circles.
How to clean dirt and grime from laptop screens
If you've dusted the screen but it's still not clean, try these steps:
Use a damp sponge
- Take a new household sponge and dampen one side of it with distilled or filtered water. Don't use tap water, as the minerals may damage your screen.
- Wring out the sponge before using it.
- Gently wipe the dirt or grime with the sponge, and clean up any excess drips.
- Allow the screen to dry before turning your laptop back on.
How to clean oils and sticky substances from laptop screens
To remove a more stubborn stain, you may need to use a mild screen-cleaning spray. Try spritzing your microfiber cloth with it (never spray the screen directly),then gently wipe the display.
Use a safe screen cleaner
Never use any harsh chemicals, household cleaners, or soap to clean your screen. Here are several safe options:
- Screen-cleaning spray (a formula specifically made for electronics)
- 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar
- 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Tech is expensive. Protect it all.
Protect the devices your family loves and relies on with one simple plan that covers all your favorite home tech. With Asurion Home+, we cover your computers, TVs, tablets, premium headphones, smart devices, and so much more—plus, 24/7 assistance for your whole family with any tech care need—for less than $1/day. Learn more about Asurion Home+ coverage and how you can get peace-of-mind device protection.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*