Whether you're troubleshooting a hardware issue, preparing for a fresh start, or dealing with software trouble, knowing the right way to reset your LG® phone is important.
At uBreakiFix® by Asurion, we're all about turning tech problems into tech solutions. Here are three different ways to reset your LG phone, and when you should try each one.
The 3 types of LG phone resets
Resetting your phone can be a simple yet effective way to resolve various LG phone repair issues. Understanding the difference between them will help you understand what your phone needs.
- Soft reset: A soft reset is a simple restart that can resolve minor software glitches, freezing, or lagging without erasing any data.
- Hard reset: A hard reset doesn’t erase data, but is a more comprehensive restart than a soft reset. You should try it when your phone is unresponsive or when a soft reset doesn’t solve the issue.
- Factory reset: A factory reset returns your phone to its original state by erasing all data, including apps, and personal files. An LG factory reset is ideal when you’re planning to sell your device or when you need to start fresh due to software issues. Before starting a factory reset, you’ll want to back up all your personal data.
How to reset an LG phone
Now you know the three different types of reserts, let’s walk through the steps for each one.
How to soft reset an LG phone
- Press and hold the Power button.
- Tap Restart or Reboot. If your phone is unresponsive, keep holding the power button until the screen turns off and on again.
- Wait for the phone to restart.
How to hard reset an LG phone
- Press and hold the Power button until the device turns off.
- Then, turn the phone back on.
How to factory reset an LG phone
- Go to your phone’s Settings.
- Tap System > Restart & reset.
- Select Factory data reset.
Tap Reset phone. Enter your PIN or password if prompted.