January 1st, 2022
How to fix a broken iPhone camera
From taking a picture of a receipt to snapping shots at your child's first baseball game, your camera keeps you close to the things that are important. At Asurion, we troubleshoot your tech problems so you can enjoy the devices that run your world. Here's what our experts say about fixing a broken iPhone® camera.
First, let's figure out if your camera is experiencing a hardware or software issue.
- If it's a hardware issue, you'll likely have a problem with only the front or rear camera (not both), and the issue will be consistent across apps.
- If it's a software issue, your camera may work totally fine for one app and have problems with another.
Common iPhone camera issues
iPhone camera issues can vary, but three of the most common ones are:
- The camera is freezing or lagging.
- A black screen appears instead of the traditional camera viewfinder.
- The flash won't work.
If you're experiencing any of these problems, here are some ways to fix them.
Your iPhone camera is freezing
If your iPhone camera is consistently freezing, here are a few things to try:
- Close out your apps. Press near the bottom of your Home screen, swipe up about halfway, then swipe up the apps to close them.
- Restart your phone. Simply turn it off, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on.
- Update your software. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to see if there are any iOS® updates available.
After trying these steps, open your Camera app again and see if the freezing stopped.
iPhone® screen repairs—starting at $79
From color and resolution to touch response and battery usage, we’ll help you find an option that’s right for you.
Your iPhone camera shows a black screen
If your camera is showing a black screen instead of the viewfinder, try these tips.
- Make sure your case is not blocking the lens.
- Check the lens for dirt or grime.
- Reopen the Camera app and repeatedly switch between the rear and front cameras.
Your iPhone camera flash isn't working
If restarting your phone hasn't fixed your flash issues, here are a few things to try.
- Make sure nothing is blocking the flash lens.
- Clean the lens with a microfiber cloth.
- Ensure the flash is turned on by tapping the lightning bolt icon in the upper-left corner of your Camera app and then tapping On.
If none of these tips fix your flash issue, you'll want to make sure it isn't a hardware issue. To check:
- Swipe down from the right to access your Control Center.
- Tap the Flashlight icon.
- If the flashlight doesn't work, you have a hardware issue and may need help from an expert.
Protect your phone
For more than 25 years, Asurion has helped 300 million customers protect, connect, and enjoy the tech they love most. And smartphones are no exception. Your life is on your device, make sure it’s protected. Learn more about Asurion phone insurance plans today.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*