You probably back up your computer and phone to make sure you don't lose your personal information. But what about your tablet? There's a simple and safe way to save your cherished photos and important files on your iPad®, Amazon Fire®, or Samsung Galaxy® tablet so you won't lose them if you want to replace your device or if it's lost, stolen, or damaged.
At Asurion, we help you get the most out of your tech, whether you want to stop those annoying spam text messages or use cloud storage on your computer. Here's our step-by-step guide on how—and why—to back up your tablet.
What does backing up your tablet do?
Backing up your tablet makes sure that you don't lose any of your important data, such as your:
- Wi-Fi network information
- Apps and app settings
How to back up data on your iPad
You can back up data on your iPad using iCloud® or your MacBook®. It's easy. We'll show you how.
Back up your iPad to iCloud
Before you get started, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi and that you have your Apple® ID and password to sign into iCloud—if you need help, check out our guide on how to set up iCloud. Then follow these simple steps:
- Tap Settings, then tap on your name.
- Tap iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup.
- Turn on iCloud Backup. Your tablet will now automatically back up when it's connected to power and Wi-Fi.
For a one-time, manual backup, follow steps 1–3 above, then tap Back Up Now.
When you begin a backup, make sure to stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes. To make sure that the backup is finished, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. The time of the last successful backup should appear on the screen.
Back up your iPad to your MacBook
You can also back up your iPad to your computer. Here's how:
- Connect your iPad to your MacBook.
- On your MacBook, go to Finder®, then select your iPad.
- Click General.
- Click Back up all of the data on your iPad to this Mac.
- Click Back up Now.
NOTE: If your MacBook is running macOS® 10.14 Mojave or earlier, you'll need to use iTunes® to back up your iPad.
How to back up data on your Amazon Fire
You can easily back up your vital information on your Amazon Fire tablet using the cloud. Here's how:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings.
- Tap Device Options.
- Tap Backup & Restore.
- Turn on Backup & Restore. Your device will back up once daily when connected to Wi-Fi and power.
How to back up data on your Samsung Galaxy tablet
An easy way to save your personal information is to use the backup service from Google®, which is built into all Android™ devices such as your phone. You can also use the backup solutions provided by Samsung. Here's how:
Back up your Galaxy tablet to Google Drive
- Open Settings.
- Tap Accounts and backup. Under Google Drive™, tap Back up data.
- Tap Back up now.
Back up your Galaxy Tablet using the Samsung Cloud
- Go to Settings. If you're already signed in to your Samsung account, then tap on your name. If not, tap on Samsung account and sign in.
- Tap Samsung Cloud. If you're doing this for the first time, you may have to tap No backups.
- Tap Back up data.
- Go through and select the apps and data you'd like to back up. Then tap Back up now.
- When the sync is complete, tap Done.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.