How'd you like to warm up your house in the morning without even getting out of bed? You can ask your partner to throw a log on the fire, or you can add your Google Nest Thermostat® to your Alexa™ device. The fireplace is up to you, but if you want to use your smart home devices, we've got your back.
At Asurion, we help you get the most from your tech, whether you want to find out surprising things your voice assistant can do or connect your Airpods® to your TV. Here's how to connect your Nest thermostat to Alexa.
Turn on Google Nest skills for Alexa
If you have an Echo Show™, an Echo Dot® or another Alexa-enabled smart speaker, you already know that your virtual voice assistant can do really cool things. But did you know that Alexa allows you to check the news, order food, and control your home's temperature with your voice?
To do the latter, you'll need to turn on the Google Nest skill. You can either tell Alexa what to do , or you can open the Alexa app on your phone and follow the directions below. Make sure to download and install the app from the App Store® or Google Play™ Store if you haven't already.
How to use the Alexa app to turn on skills:
- Open the Alexa app, and tap More in the top-left corner.
- Tap Skills & Games, then tap the magnifying glass icon.
- Type in “Google Nest". When it pops up, select it, then tap ENABLE TO USE.
Our experts have seen it all
Sign up for Asurion Home+ and get 24/7 tech support and device protection—all in one plan.
How to use your voice to turn on the Google Nest skill:
Say, “Alexa, enable the Google Nest skill." When Alexa says, “O.K., here's Google Nest," you're good to go.
Add your Google Nest thermostat to Alexa
Another way to connect your Nest thermostat to Alexa is to tell your voice assistant to discover your device or open the Alexa app and follow these steps:
How to use the Alexa app to link your Nest to Alexa
- Open the Alexa app and select Devices.
- Tap the + icon, then select Add Device.
- Choose Nest thermometer, then follow the onscreen prompts.
How to use your voice to link your Nest to Alexa
- Say, “Alexa, discover devices."
- Follow Alexa's instructions to discover your Nest thermostat. Nest thermostat."
Nest thermostat voice commands to use with Alexa
Once you've linked your Nest thermostat to Alexa, you're ready to use your voice to check the temperature or make your rooms hotter or colder. Here are a few commands to try:
- “Alexa, what temperature is my Nest thermostat set to?"
- “Alexa, change my Nest thermostat to 65 degrees."
- “Alexa, increase my Nest thermostat by 10 degrees."
Alexa won't be able to control your Nest thermostat if it's set to an eco temperature, is in off mode, is using emergency heat, or if there's been an emergency shutoff.
How to remove Nest thermostat from Alexa
If you'd like to remove your Nest device from Alexa, it's easy.
- Open the Alexa app.
- Select Devices > Nest thermometer > Settings.
- Select Trash.
- Wait a few minutes, then refresh the Alexa app.
Make sure your smart home is protected
An Asurion Home+® protection plan provides coverage for nearly all the technology in your home with one simple plan. Laptops, tablets, TVs, gaming consoles, smart thermostats, and so much more—even future purchases. Plus, you'll get 24/7 live expert support and robust digital security. Learn more about Asurion Home+® coverage and how you can get peace-of-mind electronics protection.