Looking for a way to talk to two people at once on your mobile phone? Try three-way calling. It’s easy, as long as your carrier supports it—you’ll just need a strong cell signal or internet connection. We’ll walk you through how to add a caller, merge calls, and remove a caller on your iPhone® or Android™ phone.
Asurion Experts protect and fix all the devices you love. Plus, we teach you cool things you can do with your tech like make a video call from your Android phone or cast your phone to your TV. Here’s our guide on how to make a three-way call on your mobile device.
What is a 3-way call?
A three-way call is basically a conference call with three people. You call one person and put them on hold, then you call another person and merge the calls so the three of you can talk at once. Both Android and iPhone let you connect up to five people without downloading any additional software, as long as your carrier supports conference calls.
Purposes of a 3-way call
Here are a few reasons why you might want to have a three-way call:
Event planning. Three family members or friends plan an event by joining one call instead of making a series of back-and-forth ones.
Problem solving. Two people provide tech support or troubleshoot a situation with someone who needs help.
Medical consultations. A doctor shares health information with a patient and their advocate.
Real estate transactions. The buyer, seller, and real estate agent discuss property details or negotiate a sale. Legal conversations. A lawyer consults with two parties at once to get legal advice. Job interviews. Two interviewers talk to a job candidate simultaneously.
Work meetings. Three co-workers meet on the phone when they’re working remotely.
How to make a 3-way call on iPhone
Here’s how to make a three-way call on your iPhone:
- In the Phone app, dial your first contact number and wait for the call to connect.
- Tap Add Call (plus sign).
- Dial the second contact and wait for the call to connect.
- Tap the Merge button, it should say Merge Calls (an upward arrow with two tails).
- The two calls will merge into one call.
How to add an incoming caller
If someone calls you when you’ve already started a 3-way call, you can add them. Here’s what to do:
- Tap Hold & Accept.
- Wait for the call to connect, then tap merge calls (an upward arrow with two tails).
How to remove a caller
During a three-way call, you can remove a person from it. Here’s how:
- While on the call, tap the Info button(lowercase “i”).
- Next to the contact you want to remove, tap End.
If you don’t see the option to add a call, merge a call during incoming calls, or remove a caller, check with your service provider. They may not support calls with three or more people or you may not have a plan that does so.
How to make a 3-way call on an Android device
Here’s how to make a three-way call on an Android phone.
- In the Phone app, dial the first person for your call.
- When the call connects, tap Add Call (plus sign).
- Dial the next person from your contact list you’d like to add to the call.
- Tap Merge Calls (an upward arrow with two tails).
- The three callers should be on one call.
How to fix poor sound quality on a 3-way call
If the sound quality is poor on your three-way call, here are a few simple fixes to try: Eliminate background noise. Place the call indoors if possible, in the quietest place you can find. Turn off music, fans, etc. Use headphones. This can help you hear your callers more clearly. Check the Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If you or one of your callers are cutting out, you may need to move somewhere with a stronger signal.
Want to record a phone conversation? Check out our guide on how to record a call on your Android phone.