May 3rd, 2021
How to stop your PS5 from overheating
When you and your friends are playing PlayStation® 5, it's easy to get caught up in the heat of the game. But that might not be the only heat that's building.
It's natural for your PS5™ to warm up as you play. But if your console doesn't have the airflow to cool itself down, excessive heat could slow down your system, cause damage, or even mean game over for you and your PlayStation.
Helping people with all their tech care needs is what Asurion Experts do every single day, and fixing game console repair problems is no exception. Here's what they want you to know about your PlayStation getting too hot, along with their recommended PS5 overheating fixes, which will also work on a PS4.
What makes a PS5 overheat?
There are many reasons your PlayStation might overheat. Here are a few common ones:
- Debris buildup from lint, fur, or dust can cause the air vents to clog.
- Poor airflow can occur if you keep your console in a cabinet or cramped area without good ventilation.
- Graphically demanding games use a lot of power and can raise the internal temperature of your PS5.
Signs your PlayStation 5 has overheating issues:
- The console is very warm to the touch. If this happens, you might get a warning that says “Your PS5 is too hot.”
- The fan is running constantly or making loud, unusual sounds.
- Your games run slow or you experience increased loading times. In some cases, the game might freeze.
- White or black dots or streaks appear while you're playing.
- Your entire screen turns white, black, purple, or green.
Keep your head in the game. We’ll handle the repairs.
Make an appointment at your nearest store now for game console repair.
How to fix an overheating PS5
To fix PS5 overheating issues—or prevent them in the first place—follow these simple tips. Problems with your PS4 overheating? The same advice will help.
- Make sure the area around your games and console is clean to prevent dust buildup.
- Put your PS5 at least four inches from any wall surfaces, and don't keep it in a cabinet or enclosed space.
- Lightly vacuum the vents to stop dust or debris from blocking airflow.
- Keep your system off carpets, rugs, or mats.
- Don't cover your PS5, especially any of the vents.
- If the fan is running constantly or loudly, check the vents for blockages.
- Keep pets from laying on or near your console.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Don't let a glitched controller mean game over
The Asurion Home+ protection plan offers peace of mind for all of your eligible home tech, including your favorite gaming systems, for less than $1 per day. From graphical glitches to faulty drives, we cover your video game console and original controller from the unexpected breakdown—no matter where or when you purchased it. Learn more at asurion.com/homeplus.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*