March 24th, 2022
How to fix an iPhone power button that's not working
If the Power button on your iPhone® is stuck or broken, it's hard to do much of anything with your device. The good news: There's usually a simple solution.
Here at Asurion, we help you get the most out of your tech—whether you want to reset your AirPods® or learn new tips and tricks for your phone. Here's our guide to why your Power button may not be working and how to fix it.
Why won't your iPhone Power button work?
There are a few common reasons your Power button isn't working. They include:
- Your phone case is blocking the Power button.
- The button is damaged or dirty.
- There's a problem with the software or an app on your device.
- There's a hardware issue with your iPhone.
Here are a few easy ways to fix your Power button.
Device won't power on? We can help
We'll do a free device diagnostic to find out what's wrong—visit your local store or schedule a repair.
Check and clean the Power button
- Remove the case or any protective film to see if it's covering all or part of the button.
- Inspect the Power button for any damage.
- Check for debris or dirt around the button.
- Clean it with a microfiber cloth or a cotton swab dipped in a bit of rubbing alcohol.
Restart your iPhone using AssistiveTouch
If the Power button looks clean and undamaged but still won't work, software issues may be to blame. With the AssistiveTouch® feature, you can restart your phone—and possibly resolve the problem—without using the Power button. Here's how:
- Go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch.Tap the AssistiveTouch button, then tap the switch to turn it on.
- A small circle should now appear on your screen. Tap it.
- Tap Device > More > Restart. Then confirm that you want to restart your iPhone.
- After your phone restarts, check your Power button to see if it is working correctly.
Lock your iPhone with AssistiveTouch
If your Power button still won't work, you might be dealing with a hardware issue and should seek expert iPhone repair. To use your phone in the meantime, you can use AssistiveTouch to lock your device and keep it secure.
- With AssistiveTouch turned on, tap the small circle on your screen.
- Go to Device > Lock Screen.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Protect your phone
For more than 25 years, Asurion has helped 300 million customers protect, connect, and enjoy the tech they love most. And smartphones are no exception. Your life is on your device, make sure it’s protected. Learn more about Asurion phone insurance plans today.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*
- SHARE THIS ARTICLE