Has your game been freezing over and over? No, you’re not stuck in a time warp—but it can feel like one when you’re forced to play the same level on repeat. Luckily, there are simple ways to break the frozen PlayStation® cycle so you can finally beat the hidden game boss.
uBreakiFix® by Asurion is your one-stop shop for troubleshooting and fixing all of your tech care needs. Here’s how to get your freezing PS4® unfrozen.
Why does my PS4 keep freezing?
The brain freeze your console is experiencing can be annoying, especially when it keeps you from finishing the latest games. Your PS4 freezing could be due to a few things:
- Game disk issue. The game disk is scuffed, scratched, or just plain dirty.
- Software glitch. A simple glitch that’s a one-time issue that a console reset can take care of.
- System bug. Something in your console’s software isn’t working as it should.
- Overheating. Your console could be working a little too hard and overheating in the process.
- Hardware problem. The disk reader inside the console could be broken.
How do I fix the PS4 freezing issue?
Clean the game disk
Make sure your game disk isn’t to blame for frozen screens or game crashes by giving it a quick clean. You can do this with a clean, soft cloth.
It’s not game over—yet
If your console stops working, we’ll handle the repairs. Make an appointment, or visit your nearest store today.
Update the system software
If your gaming console isn't running on the latest software, this could be the reason your PS4 keeps freezing. Go to your Settings, and select System Software Update. Select Upgrade if there's an available update.
Check the internet connection
If the game you’ve just downloaded from PlayStation™Store keeps crashing or freezing, check your console's network connection. You can do this by going to Settings > Network > Run Network Test. This test will tell you if your PlayStation is connected to Wi-Fi and if it’s a strong enough connection.
Notice there’s no network signal? Check your modem’s internet connection.
Test out other games
Trying out other games will give you an idea of what’s causing trouble—the game disk or the gaming console. If you’re having trouble with online gaming, try other online games and services to see if the issue continues.
Play the game from the beginning
The next step is playing through the game again, on a new save file. Don’t worry—most games have multiple save slots, so starting a new game shouldn’t be a problem. The goal is to check if the game save is corrupted. For bonus points, play the game past the point where you noticed the freezing started.
Delete the game from your console
Should your freezing dilemma be limited to a specific game that freezes on the new save file, your next step is deleting the game file—and the game—entirely. Follow these steps to get it done:
- Go to Settings > Application Saved Data Management.
- Depending on where you saved your game, you’ll select System Storage, Online Storage or USB Storage. Then, select Delete.
- Select a game and then select Select All.
- Select Delete and then select OK.
Once the game has been deleted, insert the disc or download the game when you’re online again.
Initialize your PlayStation 4
The last stop on your console troubleshooting journey is initializing the PS4. This will wipe your hard drive and restore your PS4 to factory settings, but keep the operating system intact.
Before you start the initialization process, be sure you back up your PlayStation. Once your system is backed up, walk through these 3 steps:
- Turn your system completely off and unplug any cables. Don't set it to Rest Mode.
- Press and hold the Power button until you hear two beeps. You'll see a black screen when the system boots up in Safe Mode.
- Select Initialize PS4 to factory reset your console. Note: a second option, Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software will appear, but we don’t recommend that one since it requires a reinstallation of the PS4’s operating system.
Do not turn off your PS4 system during initialization. Doing so could damage your system.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.