Is your iPad® suddenly not charging? Don't worry—fixing it could be as simple as trying a new charging cable or restarting your device. Here at Asurion, we help people fix the devices they rely on most, from unlocking an iPhone® without the passcode to fixing a printer that's offline. Here are tips from our experts on what to do when your iPad won’t charge.
Check your charging cable
Look for wear and tear, like bends or fraying, on your charging cable. Even if you don't see any obvious damage, try using a different cable to make sure that's not the issue.
Check your iPad's charging block
If your charging cable seems to be working, you may have a problem with your charging block (also known as a power adapter). If your iPad isn't working with the block it came with, try plugging it into a different power source, like another charging block or a USB port on your computer.
Tablet won't hold a charge? We can help
When your tablet stops charging, our experts can fix it fast.
Check your iPad's charging port
Your iPad's charging port can collect dust and debris over time, which can eventually keep it from charging properly. Check the charging port on the bottom of your device and follow these steps to clean it out. If you see any physical damage to the port, this can also be causing your device not to charge. You'll want to reach out to an expert for help with tablet charging port repair.
Restart your iPad
Your iPad's charging problem could be with the software. In this case, a simple restart may do the trick.
How to restart an iPad without a Home button:
- Press and hold the Top button and either Volume button.
- Drag the slider, then wait about 30 seconds for your iPad to turn off.
- To turn it back on, press and hold the Top button until the Apple® logo appears.
How to restart an iPad with a Home button:
- Press and hold the Top button until you see the power off slider.
- Drag it, then wait about 30 seconds for your iPad to turn off.
- To turn it back on, press and hold the Top button until the Apple logo appears.
If that didn't work, you can also try a hard reset on your iPad (also known as a force restart).
How to reset an iPad without a Home button:
- Press and release the Volume Up button.
- Press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Top button until you see the Apple logo.
How to reset an iPad with a Home button:
- Press and hold both the Home button and Side or Top button simultaneously for about 10 seconds.
- When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Protection beyond a tablet warranty
With the Asurion Home+ protection plan, we’ll cover all your favorite home tech—including your tablet, TV, laptop, smart devices and more—and provide 24/7 live expert support, all in one simple plan. To learn more about tablet protection, visit asurion.com/homeplus.