Factory resetting your Samsung Galaxy® tablet can seem scary. If you mess up the process, you can lose all your data—photos, videos, texts, everything. But don't worry, we can help make sure your factory reset goes smoothly
At Asurion, we've got your tech problems covered, no matter how difficult they may be. Here's how to factory reset a Samsung® tablet.
When should you try a factory reset on your Samsung tablet?
Factory resetting your Samsung tablet deletes any photos, videos, or other personal information on the device.
There are four reasons to take this step:
- You've lost your device.
- There's a technical issue you can't otherwise resolve, like the operating system not launching apps correctly.
- You have to clear the device to rid it of viruses and malware.
- You're reselling your device or giving it away.
Should you back up your data before resetting?
Yes, absolutely. If you don't back up your data before you factory reset your device, you'll lose all your personal information.
If you need help backing up your Samsung tablet, we've got all the information you need in our guide.
Keep your tablet working the way it should
Our experts can help. Schedule a repair or visit your nearest store today.
Steps for resetting your Samsung tablet to factory settings
Follow these steps to factory reset that Samsung tablet. And remember, if you're nervous about doing this, you can always ask for expert help.
How to factory reset your Samsung tablet when it's turned on
Here's how to factory reset your Samsung tablet directly from it's settings menu.
- Open Settings, then tap General management > Reset.
- Tap Factory Data Reset > Reset > Delete all.
How to factory reset your Samsung tablet when it's turned off
If you can't get to your tablet's settings screen or have to reset your tablet without the password, here's how you can get it done.
- With the Samsung tablet turned off, press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons. Release both buttons when the Android™ Recovery screen appears.
- Use the Volume buttons to cycle through available options and the Power button to select Wipe data/factory reset.
- Select Yes.
- Select Reboot system now.
How do you factory reset a tablet if you've lost it?
Can't find your tablet? No worries. You can still finish a factory reset. For this to work, you would need to have turned on Find My Mobile beforehand. It's a feature that allows you to remotely locate, lock, and erase your device if you lose it.
Set up Find My Device
- Open Settings.
- Tap Biometrics & Security.
- Tap Find My Device, then tap the switch to turn it on.
Erase the device on Find My Device
- Open the Find My Device app on another device or go to http://google.com/android/find.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Select Erase Device.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Setting up your tablet after a factory reset
After a factory reset, you'll have to set up your Samsung tablet just like you did when you took it out of the box. A good first step: signing into your Google® account. Here's how:
- Select your language, and tap the Next arrow or Start button.
- Accept the Terms & Agreements.
- Choose Skip for now when your tablet asks how you'd like to restore your data.
- Connect to Wi-Fi if you have access to it. After setting up a few things, your tablet will bring you to a screen that says “copy apps and data." To bring all your stuff back from another tablet, select Next. If you want to leave the tablet empty or don't have another tablet to copy from, select Don't copy.
- Enter the Google account information (email address and password) that you had on the tablet previously, then tap Next.
After your Google account is connected, your tablet will be ready to go.
Common questions about factory resets
Will a factory reset delete all my data?
Yes. A factory reset wipes all personal data from your device. That's why it's important to back up your tablet first.
How long does a factory reset take?
It should only take a few minutes. If you notice your tablet is taking longer on a page or cycling through endlessly, something happened in the middle of your reset and you may need to talk to an expert.
Can a factory reset fix a frozen tablet?
Yes, but if you're using a factory reset to solve a tech problem, it should be your last resort.
Protection beyond a tablet warranty
With the Asurion Home+ protection plan, we’ll cover all your favorite home tech—including your tablet, TV, laptop, smart devices and more—and provide 24/7 live expert support, all in one simple plan. To learn more about tablet protection, visit asurion.com/homeplus.