If you’re an iPhone® user, you know that Apple® often releases updates to keep your device secure and working at its best. And every year, there’s typically a major update to your phone’s operating system, known as iOS®.
In the fall of 2022, Apple is expected to release iOS 16 with a bundle of new features to help make your life easier—a mission Asurion Experts can relate to. We help our nearly 300 million customers get the most out of their favorite devices, and that includes updating and installing the latest software.
Here are our tips for getting your iPhone ready for the latest iOS version and steps for setting up your iPhone to automatically and manually download updates.
How to prepare your iPhone for the newest iOS update
Before you get started updating your iPhone’s operating system, we recommend two important steps:
- Back up your device. Check out our steps for how to back up your phone if you need help.
- Free up space. Downloading iOS 15 required nearly 5GB of free space, so you can expect new operating systems to require as much, if not more. To check your current available storage space, go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage. For tips on what you can safely delete to make some room, check out our guide on how to free up storage space on your phone.
How to update your iPhone automatically
An easy way to update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS is to enable automatic updates. With this setting turned on, the update will take place overnight while your phone is charging. Convenient, right? Here’s how to set it up:
- Open Settings.
- Go to General > Software Update.
- Tap Automatic Updates.
- Turn on both Download iOS Updates and Install iOS Updates to start the update automatically when it’s available.
Now you’re all set—just be aware that some updates might require you to manually install them. We’ll walk you through those steps next.
If you’re looking for how to automatically update your iPhone apps, we have a guide for that, too.
How to update your iPhone manually
If you’d prefer to choose when to update your iPhone, you can do so manually. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If there is an update available, tap Download and Install.
If there are two software update options available, tap the one you want to install and tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install, you’ll need to tap it, enter your passcode if prompted, then tap Install Now.
Why is my iPhone not updating?
If you’ve followed the steps for updating your iPhone OS and it’s not working properly, there are a few potential reasons. For more details, check out our guide on how to fix an iPhone that won’t update for help troubleshooting the issue.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Protect your phone
For more than 25 years, Asurion has helped 300 million customers protect, connect, and enjoy the tech they love most. And smartphones are no exception. Your life is on your device, make sure it’s protected. Learn more about Asurion phone insurance plans today.