Smart home devices can make automating your home’s many tech products a breeze and help you to stay connected while on the go. With so many gadgets now on the market, how do you know where to start? Our tech experts have you covered from A to Z with these actually helpful smart home 101 tips.
How to choose the best devices for your smart home
When designing your smart home, choose products you will use frequently. Start small – with one or two – and then consider additions. Ask yourself these questions to get started:
- Would a personal assistant to help track lists or order groceries be useful? Smart speakers are a great place to start your smart home design. There are many personal assistant devices on the market, with Amazon Echo and Google Home being two of the more popular options.
- Do you forget to turn off appliances and lights? Smart plugs and light switches may be your most valuable assets. Not only can they provide peace of mind – allowing you to turn off the waffle iron you left on – but they help cut down on your energy consumption.
- Are you concerned about security? Monitor your home right from your phone with Wi-Fi connected doorbells, door locks, exterior lights, cameras and more. Smart door locks are also extra handy for those times you accidentally lock your keys inside the house.
- Would you like to have lower utility bills? Keep your cool by installing a smart thermostat. You can adjust the temperature on your phone or by voice to keep your home nice and cozy.
How to set up and install your smart home products
After you’ve decided to dive into your home automation journey, now comes the fun part: setting it all up. Here’s some quick tips from Asurion tech experts to help get started:
- Keep your wireless password and smartphone on hand when connecting your new smart devices. Here’s another tip: during or after setup, you may be asked to install an app on your phone. Before you start, make sure your phone has storage space available.
- After your first smart device is working, install and set up your others and connect them to your wireless network.
- Don’t forget: many smart home products also let you connect to a personal assistant like Amazon Echo or Google Home. With these assistants, you can use voice commands to manage your smart home network. For example, you can install smart skills for Alexa like adjusting your thermostat or you can ask Google Home to turn on your favorite TV show with Chromecast.
Want more tips on setting up your smart home? Our Soluto tech experts can help.