Last Updated: September 9, 2021
We value privacy, especially yours
At Asurion, we understand the importance of protecting your privacy. We want you to understand what personal information we collect, why it is collected, how it is used, and other important information so that you are informed and there are no surprises. For clarity, as defined in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Document Act (“PIPEDA”), “personal information” means personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. This includes information in any form, such as age, name, ID numbers, credit records, and intentions.
If you do not agree to the terms of this policy, please do not use our services or provide any personal information.
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we may not be able to provide the services you have contracted for, such as processing a claim.
Where to turn with questions
If you have any questions about this policy, about our site, product, service, or want to request access to, correction, or deletion of your personal information, or have a privacy-related complaint, you can contact us via our webform.
You may also contact us at:
Asurion Canada, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Office
c/o Office of the General Counsel
140 11th Ave. North
Nashville, TN, USA 37203
What’s covered by this policy
Any Asurion-affiliated site, product, or service(s) that links to this policy and any collection, storage, transfer, sharing, disclosure, and handling of your personal information when you use our services, which we describe in the following section.
Personal information we collect
When you use our services, we may collect the following types of personal information:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Mobile phone number and any information that identifies your mobile device, such as Electronic Serial Number (“ESN”) or International Mobile Equipment Identity (“IMEI”) data
- Device serial number and media access control (“MAC”) address
- Information collected after obtaining your permission during your use of the site, product, or service
- Any information that you provide as part of filing a claim
- Information provided by your mobile network provider to validate your claim
- Responses to online, verbal, or video surveys that you choose to complete
- Other information that personally identifies you or is linked or linkable to you
As part of the claim process, Asurion or its affiliates may require you to provide a copy of your driver’s license, passport, or other personal identification card. Additionally, in order to process your claim, Asurion or its affiliates may request your shipping and billing information, credit card information, or other preferred payment means.
Asurion also gathers certain information about the use of Asurion’s services, including the number of unique visitors, the frequency of visits, how users interact with the sites, user experience preferences, IP address, and other information that may help Asurion improve the customer experience, mitigate fraudulent activity, and comply with legal requirements. Such information may include, but is not limited to, the following:
When you visit Asurion’s sites, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs. This type of information includes details of how you interacted with our services. It may include personal information, such as IP address, Unique Device Identifier, or CallerID and/or ANI (Automatic Number Identification) information, content of web pages, transaction with APIs (Application Program Interfaces), transactions with IVR (Interactive Voice Response) systems, activity and content of visitor interaction with call center representatives, application usage activity, hardware information, hardware and system settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, referral URL, etc.
A cookie is a small data file that is managed by your web browser or other application and stored on your device. Asurion uses first- and third-party session and persistent cookies to, among other things, identify your computer during a particular interaction and analyze your behavior during a particular visit. Most web browsers provide you with the ability to accept or decline cookies as well as to be warned each time a cookie is being sent. We use Google Analytics on our websites to analyze trends, administer the website, and track users’ movements around the website. Google Analytics uses third-party cookies to collect standard internet-log information and visitor-behavior information. The information generated by the cookie about your use of this website, including your IP address, is transmitted to Google. This information is used to evaluate visitors’ use of the website and to compile website activity statistical reports for us. We do not use the statistical analytics tool to track or to link an IP address with the identity of a computer user. If you do not want any information to be collected and used by Google Analytics, you may be able to install an opt-out add-on to your web browser. You may learn more about how Google collects and uses personal information to analyze how visitors use our website and to monitor the performance of our website at “How Google uses information from sites or apps that use our services.” For the avoidance of doubt, we do not combine the general information collected through these technologies with other personal information to render you identifiable. By using the website, you agree that we can place these technologies on your device.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. Find out how to manage cookies on the following popular browsers:
To find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer’s website.
If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully use Asurion’s services.
You can find more information about cookies at allaboutcookies.org.
In addition, associations in the digital advertising ecosystem provide methods for opting out of interest-based advertising (i.e., advertising that’s been customized based on predictions about your interests generated from your visits to different sites). If you wish to opt out of interest-based advertising click here or if you are located in the European Union click here. The Digital Advertising Alliance and the YourOnlineChoices page also provide opt-out mechanisms. Please note you will continue to receive generic ads.
Pixel tags, also known as web beacons, help Asurion better manage user experience and content tracking. Pixel tags are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that provide a similar function to cookies and are used to track user interaction with content provided by Asurion or an affiliate organization. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s device, pixel tags are embedded invisibly within content. The small size and transparency of pixel tags are not intended to deceive content recipients, but to minimize distraction.
Third-party data sources
Asurion may leverage external data sources in order to provide context and background on the users of its services in order to improve customer experience, mitigate fraud or malicious activity, or comply with internal company and external regulatory requirements.
An Important Note Regarding Biometric Information Collection
Photos and Videos Stored in Our Application: Certain Asurion mobile applications store or access your photos and videos. With your prior express permission, Asurion may use facial recognition to analyze the photos and videos you take with your device to detect whether an object in a photo or video is a face, distinguishing it from other objects present (e.g., cat, mountain). The facial detection does not identify a face as belonging to a specific individual, but the mobile application may provide you with the ability to categorize the photos of a specific individual by a name or nickname that you provide.
Password Management Features
A feature of certain Asurion mobile applications allow you to share your passwords with the application for safekeeping. Any passwords that you share are not visible by, transmitted to, or stored by Asurion in clear text. They are saved on your device, with only an encrypted copy being sent to Asurion for which we do not have the decryption key. This allows you to use the application seamlessly on multiple devices, without your password leaving your device in a usable format.
How we use your personal information
Asurion may use your personal information to:
- Fulfill a service to you.
- Complete your purchase.
- Establish and verify your identity.
- Activate and maintain and your account.
- Handle and resolve billing disputes.
- Monitor and maintain the performance and functionality of the device consistent with your choices.
- Provide technical support and click-to-chat functionality.
- Protect and improve our services.
- Offer updates; notices; invitations to participate in online, verbal, or video surveys; and other information about the site, products, and services available from Asurion or its affiliates as permitted by law. (Note: at any time you may choose to withdraw your consent to Asurion’s use or disclosure of your personal information for marketing and promotional purposes by contacting Asurion as outlined in the Where to turn with questions section of this policy.)
- Respond to your questions, inquiries, comments and instructions.
- Enforce the applicable Terms of Service.
- Comply with the law and defend our rights.
- Track and analyze de-identified data and provide such data to third parties that provide services to Asurion.
- Protect against fraud and potential fraud.
- Notify you of any known breach of your personal information.
- Maintain the security and integrity of Asurion’s systems and services.
How we share your personal information
We will not use or disclose your personal information to nonaffiliated third parties except as disclosed in this policy.
Asurion may transfer or license your personal information to:
- Nonaffiliated companies that include telecommunication carriers, credit card payment processors, or security services providers who send communications on our behalf and third parties providing claims fulfillment, supply chain logistics, data center operations, information technology, customer service and monitoring the quality assurance of customer service. These companies are required to comply with the principles set out in this policy and only use such personal information for the purposes for which it was provided to them.
- A third-party, in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure, or repossession), lease, merger, amalgamation, or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance, or financing of all or any portion of its business or of any assets or shares of our business or a division thereof in order for you to continue to receive the same or similar products and services from the third-party, in which case, we will provide notice of any material change to this policy, or our services, in the manner described in this policy, and In these circumstances, personal information may be shared with the actual or prospective purchasers or assignees, or with the newly acquired business.
Asurion may also disclose your personal information to:
- Comply with the law and/or legal process in which a formal request has been made (e.g., request from an administrative oversight agency, civil suit, subpoena, search warrant, court order, or judicial or administrative proceeding).
- Defend our rights and/or property or the rights and property of others.
- Respond to claims that the content(s) of a communication violates the rights of another.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues.
How we protect your personal information
We use commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical controls best practices to protect your personal information, including data encryption where appropriate; however, since the internet is not a 100% secure environment, we cannot ensure the security of personal information during its transmission between you and us. Accordingly, you acknowledge that when you transmit such personal information, you do so at your own risk. We will notify you of any confirmed security breach of your personal information to the extent required by and in accordance with applicable provincial and federal law.
How long we keep your personal information
Asurion will retain your personal information as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy, unless a longer retention period is required or not prohibited by applicable law.
How you are notified if the policy changes
We may change this policy from time to time. If we do, we will post the updated policy with the last revised date. Your continued use of the site, product, or service means that you consent to the updates. You should periodically read the policy to understand our privacy practices.
If we make material changes to this policy, then we will notify you in the site, product, service, or by email and seek your express consent where required.
How we will communicate with you
By using our services, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically, including via SMS. This includes any required notifications (i.e., legal, technical, regulatory, security, privacy) relating to your use of the services.
Your rights related to your personal information
While we take various steps to ensure the accuracy and completeness of your personal information, we rely upon you to provide accurate and complete personal information when interacting with us.
Upon your request and as allowed or required by applicable law and consistent with our applicable partner agreements, you may request Asurion to take the following actions with your personal information: (i) provide you with a copy, (ii) correct, or (iii) update. To make such a request, or if you have a privacy-related complaint, please contact Asurion via postal mail or email as provided in the Where to turn with questions section of this policy. We will respond to your request within 30 days, which may be extended to 60 days under certain circumstances. If a request is denied, we will notify you of the reason.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. However, if you have a complaint regarding the processing of your personal information, we request that you first contact us as indicated in the Where to turn with questions section of this policy and we will reply promptly.
A few points about social media
Children under 13
The site, product, or service is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that your child is accessing the site, product, or service and providing personal information without your consent, please contact us by using the information provided below. We will take steps to remove personal information from our storage systems and terminate the account if we determine that a child under 13 has accessed the services.
International data transfers
Personal information we collect from you may be processed by Asurion and third parties, as described in the “How we use your personal information” section, in the United States and other countries and used consistent with your relationship with Asurion and the practices described in this policy. Personal information will only be transferred to locations outside of Canada when the applicable legal requirements can be satisfied.
The Asurion privacy practices, described in this policy, comply with the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Cross Border Privacy Rules (APEC CBPR) System. The APEC CBPR system provides a framework for organizations to ensure protection of personal information transferred among participating APEC economies. More information about the APEC framework can be found here.
To learn more about our APEC CBPR Certification, click here.
Accountability and governance
Asurion has implemented various measures to monitor compliance with and enforce this Policy.