February 7th, 2022
How to connect Apple Watch to iPhone
The Apple Watch® lets you check texts, screen calls, and monitor your health right from your wrist. But if you get a new iPhone®, you'll have to pair your watch to it to enjoy many of its most convenient features. Don't remember how? We've got you covered.
Here at Asurion, we help you get the most out of your tech—whether you want to update your iPhone apps or learn about some surprising things your phone can do. Here’s our guide to pairing your Apple Watch with your new iPhone.
Unpair your Apple Watch from your old iPhone
First, make sure to unpair your watch from your old iPhone.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the My Watch tab, then tap All Watches in the top-left corner.
- Tap the information icon next to the watch you're unpairing.
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch, then tap again to confirm.
Back up your old iPhone to iCloud
Don't forget to back up your old phone to iCloud® so you don't lose your messages, contacts, photos, etc.
- Connect your iPhone to your Wi-Fi network, then open Settings and tap [your name].
- Tap iCloud > iCloud Backup > Back Up Now.
Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes. To make sure the backup finished, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. The time of the last successful backup should appear.
Set up your new iPhone
Once you've backed up your old device, it's time to get your new one up and running—check out our guide to setting up a new iPhone.
Pair your Apple Watch to your new iPhone
When your new phone is set up, follow these steps to pair your Apple Watch to your iPhone:
- Turn on your Apple Watch by holding the watch's Side button until you see the Apple® logo. Then put it on.
- Hold your watch near your phone and wait for your iPhone to bring up the Apple Watch pairing screen. When you see a prompt that says “Use your iPhone to set up this Apple Watch" tap Continue on the iPhone—you can also start the process manually by opening the Watch app on your iPhone, then tapping All Watches > Pair New Watch.
- Tap Set Up for Myself. Keep your watch and phone near each other while you complete these steps.
- When prompted by the Watch app, point your iPhone's camera at the Apple Watch face to pair the two devices.
- Tap Restore from Backup to carry over your watch's data. Your Apple Watch might require a software update.
- Follow the prompts on your phone to complete the setup.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Your electronics go everywhere. They need protection that keeps up.
For less than $1 per day, protect thousands of dollars' worth of tech in your home—including your smartwatch—with the Asurion Home+ protection plan. From cracked screens to battery issues and liquid spills, Asurion Home+ protects your wearable tech from life's unexpected oops moments with fast repairs from trusted experts, whenever you need them. To learn more, visit asurion.com/homeplus.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*
- SHARE THIS ARTICLE