March 25th, 2022
How to fix 5 common Xbox One issues
If your Xbox One® won't read a disc, is not turning on, or is making weird noises, you're not alone. Gamers have reported facing issues with their Xbox® ranging from grinding noises to games not installing. The good news is, we can help get you back in the game quickly.
Whether it's a frozen computer or a lagging game console, Asurion Experts have the know-how to solve all of your tech care needs. Here they’ve rounded up the five most common Xbox One problems and their fixes.
1. Xbox One won't update
If your Xbox One won't update, it can prevent you from almost all play modes, even single-player games offline. Here are four possible solutions to get you back on track fast:
- Double-check that you're connected to the internet by going to Settings > General > Network settings and selecting Test network connection.
- Check to see if Microsoft's servers are down.
- Connect your Xbox One to the web via Ethernet.
- Turn off your Xbox One, unplug it for 30 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on.
2. Xbox One disc grinding
Is your Xbox One making a weird noise? There's a good chance this is the disc drive of the Xbox One grinding because of a loose gear. It doesn't scratch your game discs, but it does make them impossible to read. This issue is best seen by a game console repair expert.
If your console is just not reading discs at all, we’ve got a guide for that: Why your Xbox One won’t read discs and how to fix it.
Keep your head in the game
If your console stops working, we’ll handle the repairs. Make an appointment or visit your nearest store now.
3. Xbox One won't turn on
If your Xbox One won't turn on, or only turns on briefly before shutting back off, it could have a defective power supply. If this is the case, you may also see a flickering or black light on the console. Give these steps a try to get back in the game:
- Unplug your Xbox One.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Plug your Xbox One back in to reset the internal power supply.
4. Xbox One unexpectedly turns off
If your Xbox One abruptly shuts off, this is a different set of issues than if it won't start up. Try these two solutions first. If neither works, you may want to consider replacing your power supply.
- Clean the vents: Using compressed air and a soft-bristled brush. For detailed steps, check out our guide on how to safely clean your Xbox One.
- Select Don't Turn off Automatically: There is a setting that may be the cause behind your Xbox’s sudden shutdown. Go to Profile & system > Settings > General > Power mode & startup. Under Options, select Turn off after > Don't turn off automatically.
5. Games won't install
If your Xbox One won't install games, first, check that your disc is in good condition. If no visible scratches or warps are present, check to make sure that your console has the latest update installed:
- Go to Settings > System > Updates & downloads > Update console.
- If you see “No console update available,” your system is up to date—if you see “Update console” or “Console update available,” select the update and begin the installation.
If the disc is in good condition and your console was already up-to-date, try to install the game offline by going to Settings > General > Network settings and selecting Go offline before inserting the game disc. Reconnect to Xbox Live when you're finished, and the issue should be resolved.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Don't let a glitched controller mean game over
The Asurion Home+ protection plan offers peace of mind for all of your eligible home tech, including your favorite gaming systems, for less than $1 per day. From graphical glitches to faulty drives, we cover your video game console and original controller from the unexpected breakdown—no matter where or when you purchased it. Learn more at asurion.com/homeplus.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*
- SHARE THIS ARTICLE