December 5th, 2018
Americans Equate Smartphone Access to Food and Water in Terms of Life Priorities
New Consumer Tech Survey from Asurion finds Americans are Lying to Themselves about Their Tech Dependency
Asurion, the global leader in technology solutions services, today released the results of its 2018 Consumer Tech Dependency Survey, which reveals Americans’ reliance on their mobile phones is steadily growing and not showing any signs of slowing down. Additional results from the survey further highlight consumer behaviors and habits with tech, broken down by generation.
Asurion conducted the nationwide survey among a cross section of more than 1,000 adults, ages 18-65. It found:
- 97% think Americans are addicted to their devices but only 59% think they themselves are.
- Seven in 10 report having their phone within reach while sleeping. This number goes up to nearly 9 in 10 (88%) when looking at Millennials,dropping to 76% for Gen Xers, and 48% for Baby Boomers.
- When asked how long they could live without certain items, most respondents assigned the same length of time to their mobile phones as food and water. Across generational lines, respondents said one day is the longest they’d go without either of these “must-haves.”
- Nearly a quarter (23%) have taken a business call in the bathroom, with Millennials leading the pack (31%). This bathroom behavior may explain why 38% of Millennials say they’ve dropped their phone in the toilet, compared to 19% of Gen Xers and 6% of Boomers.
- Among those who are married, a third (32%) check their phone first thing when they wake up, but only 10% greet or kiss their spouse. Millennials are more likely to greet their spouse first (10%), compared to Gen Xers and Boomers (5%).
“Our research provides additional color regarding just how reliant people have become on their devices,” said Bettie Colombo, Asurion spokesperson. “It’s certainly a balancing act, as smartphones have also become a necessary part of our lives, from helping us stay connected to managing our connected homes. Every day, Asurion helps customers looking to get the most out of their technology. From troubleshooting and suggesting tips and apps based on the customer’s needs to providing tips that help them find greater screen-life balance.”
Full survey results available upon request from email@example.com.
For more information about Asurion and its tailored tech solutions, visit www.Asurion.com.
As the world’s leading tech care company, Asurion eliminates the fears and frustrations associated with technology, to ensure our 300 million customers get the most out of their devices, appliances and connections. We provide insurance, repair, replacement, installation and 24/7 support for everything from cellphones to laptops and household appliances. Our experts are available online, on the phone, at one of our more than 700 stores, or can even come to you.
- SHARE THIS ARTICLE