February 28th, 2022
Why won't my Samsung Galaxy charge?
Your phone keeps you connected to friends, family, work, and the wider world. So when your Samsung Galaxy® S6 isn't charging properly, or at all, it can be a real headache.
Here at Asurion, however, our experts help people troubleshoot their tech issues every day—from computers that won't turn on to a Samsung keyboard that isn't working. When tech breaks, we fix it. Here's what to do if your Samsung Galaxy S6 won't charge.
Perform a hard restart
First, make sure your phone isn't just frozen. Performing what's known as a “hard restart" will do the trick if that's the case. Don't worry, you won't lose any data—a hard restart is just like taking the battery out of your phone and putting it back in.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds.
- If your phone doesn't restart, repeat step one at least twice more.
- If your phone restarts, see if it charges now. If it still won't charge, it's time to start troubleshooting.
You can't stay connected if your phone won't charge
When your phone stops charging, our experts can fix it fast.
Check the USB cable and charger
Your Samsung S6 may have stopped charging because of a faulty cable or charging source. Here's how to find out.
- Check your cable for bends or frayed areas—wire damage can cause charging issues.
- Plug a different cable into your charging brick and see if your S6 charges now.
Try using different charging and power sources to see if that's why your phone isn't charging.
- Plug your cable into a different charging brick.
- Plug your charger into a different power outlet.
- Plug your cable into a USB port on your computer.
Check for a loose charging port
If your charging cable doesn't snap securely into the port, try using a different cable to check whether it's a loose port or faulty cable connector that is causing the issue. If the second cable fits loosely in the port, your S6 likely has port damage and you'll need to get it repaired.
Clean the charging port
If your port is full of dust and debris, that could be a reason your Samsung Galaxy S6 will not charge. Look in the port to see if there's any lint or dust trapped inside. If there is, use compressed air or a toothpick to remove it. Make sure not to scrape or push with the latter—use gentle back and forth motions to help the lint or dust fall out.
Check for a faulty battery
The S6 doesn't have a removable battery, but the exterior of your phone can show signs of battery damage, in which case you'll probably need a replacement. Here's what to look for:
- Check the back of the phone for warping or bubbling.
- Check the sides of your phone and the screen for any separation from the body of the device.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. uBreakiFix® by Asurion is a Samsung Authorized Repair Provider—schedule a repair at your nearest store and our experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Protect your phone
For more than 25 years, Asurion has helped 300 million customers protect, connect, and enjoy the tech they love most. And smartphones are no exception. Your life is on your device, make sure it’s protected. Learn more about Asurion phone insurance plans today.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*
- SHARE THIS ARTICLE