Your laptop screen can get filthy fast, especially if you use it every day. Cleaning your device regularly can help keep the dust, grime, and coffee stains under control. But be careful: Sanitizing your screen the wrong way can make more of a mess and even damage your computer.
At Asurion, we help millions of people fix, troubleshoot, and get the most out of their home technology. From speeding up a slow laptop to learning how much memory your computer needs, we keep the devices you rely on most working all day, every day. Here are our tips for the best ways to safely clean your laptop screen.
How to clean dust from laptop screens
Laptops get dirty, and dust is the number one culprit. Fortunately, it's easy to remove. You can do so safely by using the right supplies and following a few simple steps.
Shut down your laptop
Always unplug and turn off your device before you clean your laptop screen. It's safer and will make it easier to see the debris.
Use a microfiber cloth
- Gently wipe the screen with a clean, dry, microfiber cloth. Never use paper towels or tissues—their fibers may leave lint behind or scratch the screen.
- Press gently on the display and wipe in one direction—don't wipe in circles.
Say goodbye to dust and dirt, hello to performance
Our experts can deep clean your phone, tablet, laptop or gaming console to help keep your device running as it should.
How to clean dirt and grime from laptop screens
If you've dusted the screen but it's still not clean, try these steps:
Use a damp sponge
- Take a new household sponge and dampen one side of it with distilled or filtered water. Don't use tap water, as the minerals may damage your screen.
- Wring out the sponge before using it.
- Gently wipe the dirt or grime with the sponge, and clean up any excess drips.
- Allow the screen to dry before turning your laptop back on.
How to clean oils and sticky substances from laptop screens
To remove a more stubborn stain, you may need to use a mild screen-cleaning spray. Try spritzing your microfiber cloth with it (never spray the screen directly),then gently wipe the display.
Use a safe screen cleaner
Never use any harsh chemicals, household cleaners, or soap to clean your screen. Here are several safe options:
- Screen-cleaning spray (a formula specifically made for electronics)
- 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar
- 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Nothing ruins productivity like a laptop breakdown
With an Asurion Home+ protection plan, you can keep your downtime to a minimum. This one simple plan covers thousands of eligible devices in your home—from TVs and tablets to smart thermostats and locks—plus provides 24/7 live support from trusted experts for your tech questions. To learn more about laptop protection plans, visit asurion.com/homeplus.