Your phone is ten times dirtier than your toilet. Seriously—it's science—and your other tech isn't much cleaner. Think about it: We bring our phones, tablets, e-readers, and even laptops with us everywhere. Who among us hasn't scrolled through Instagram® in the bathroom?
Even the devices we can't carry, like desktop computers and gaming consoles, get gross. Dust, insects, and pet hair can clog up ports and vents, which can cause your gadgets to sputter, break down, overheat, and even catch fire.
Now that you know what you're up against, why not make sanitizing your electronics a regular part of your spring-cleaning routine? It's easy, it'll save you money in the long run, and it'll help keep your devices working like new. We'll show you how.
How to clean your phone, tablet, laptop, and e-reader
- Turn off and unplug your device.
- Inspect it and make sure there's nothing stuck in any of the ports. If there is dust lodged in a port, carefully remove it with a cotton swab, a toothpick, a pair of plastic tweezers, or compressed air. Never blow on the port with your mouth (the old school Nintendo® cartridge method) or use a toothbrush.
- Don't use harsh disinfectant wipes or regular household cleaning solution. Instead, grab a microfiber cloth sprayed with a 50/50 solution of water and alcohol and wipe it over the screen and surface of the device. Make sure the liquid doesn't get into any of the ports.
- Finally, wipe over it again with a dry microfiber cloth to remove any streaks or residue left behind.
Say goodbye to dust and dirt, hello to performance
Our experts can deep clean your phone, tablet, laptop or gaming console to help keep your device running as it should.
How to clean your computer and gaming consoles
- Unplug your desktop or console from the outlet and remove its power cable.
- Lightly spritz a microfiber cloth with either rubbing alcohol or a 50/50 mix of mild soap and water to wipe down the entire surface of the device. Use circular motions to buff out fingerprints and smudges.
- Loosen any dust in and around any ports, vents, and openings with a soft-bristled paint brush. You can also use a can of compressed air or a hose attachment on your vacuum to gently remove dust or debris.
- Finally, use the microfiber cloth to go over the surface again to wipe away any dust that's left behind.
Do all my devices need to be cleaned?
Yes, and we recommend a deep cleaning, especially for those with open vents, like gaming consoles and desktop computers. The reason: Hair, dust, and debris can get trapped inside—yuck—and all can affect how well your device works and even make it a safety hazard.
When it comes to deep cleaning, you'll want to consult an expert. The parts inside these electronics are delicate and using the wrong tools or cleaning materials could leave you with a broken or fried device.
Schedule a cleaning today at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store. We're here to help.