June 16th, 2022
How to update your Android phone
Whether you have a Samsung Galaxy® or a Google Pixel™, keeping your phone up to date helps it perform at its best. This is why Android™ regularly releases updates to fix software bugs and add security improvements. Typically, there’s also one big update to the operating system every year. In the fall of 2022, Android users can look forward to the rollout of Android 13 and all the efficiency and design upgrades that come with it.
Here at Asurion, we help millions of people troubleshoot, fix and maximize their tech, and we want to help you make sure your Android phone is prepped and ready to take full advantage of the latest software update. Here’s what to do before you download the new Android operating system update.
Steps to prepare your phone for the new Android update
Before updating your Samsung Galaxy or Google Pixel operating system, we recommend these two important steps:
- Back up your device. Check out our steps for how to back up your phone if you need help.
- Free up space. Downloading the latest Android operating system usually requires a lot of free space on your device. To check your current available storage space, go to Settings > Battery and device care (may also be Battery Care) > Storage. For tips on what to delete to make room, check out our guide on how to free up storage space on your phone.
Now your phone is ready for the update, here’s how to get it started.
How to update to the newest Android operating system
Steps for updating to the latest Android OS will vary slightly depending on what model you’re using.
To update your Samsung Galaxy:
- Go to Settings > Software update.
- Tap Check for software updates.
- If your operating system is up to date, you should see a message saying, “Current software is up to date”. If a new update is available, follow the instructions to download it.
- When you’re ready to install, tap Install Now.
To update your Google Pixel:
- Open Settings.
- Tap System > System Update.
- Tap Check for update. If your operating system is up to date, you should see a message saying, “Current software is up to date.” If a new update is available, follow the instructions to download it.
- When you’re ready to install, tap OK.
How to automatically update apps on your Android
Keeping your apps updated can also help your Android run smoothly, especially when it comes to your battery. We recommend installing them automatically to take the hassle out of the process. Here’s how:
- Open the Play Store™ app.
- Tap the circular profile icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap Settings > Network preferences.
- Tap Auto-update apps. Now choose whether you want apps to automatically update over any network, which requires using your data, or choose to automatically update them only when Wi-Fi is available.
- Tap Done.
If you've tried these steps and still need a little help, we're right around the corner. Schedule a repair at the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.
Protect your phone
For more than 25 years, Asurion has helped 300 million customers protect, connect, and enjoy the tech they love most. And smartphones are no exception. Your life is on your device, make sure it’s protected. Learn more about Asurion phone insurance plans today.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*