September 10th, 2021
What to do if your PS4 won't start or turn on
When you're gearing up to play Grand Theft Auto Online®, the last thing you want is your PlayStation® 4 to have problems—especially the dreaded "blue light of death" or a system that won't turn start. What do you do?
Don't worry. At Asurion, when tech breaks, we know how to fix it—everything from controller drift to multiplayer lag. Here's our experts' guide to fixing a PS4™ that won't turn on so you can get back to building your virtual criminal empire.
Why won't my PS4 start?
There are many reasons why your PS4 may be having trouble starting or turning on. Here are a few of the most common reasons:
- Console damage
- A faulty power strip, cable, or power outlet
- Dust and insect buildup
- Software issues
How to fix a PS4 that won't start or turn on
If you can't restart your PS4 or the dreaded “blue light of death" is blinking in the center of your console followed by an error message or a blank screen, try the following steps.
Unplug the power cable
To manually restart your console, follow these steps:
- Make sure your PS4 is completely off, with no lights turned on or flashing.
- Unplug the power cable from your console for at least 30 seconds.
- Plug the cable back in and press the power button on the front of your device to try restarting it.
Check your device for damage
If your PS4 still won't turn on, gently wiggle the power cable where it connects to the PS4 console. Is the cable loose or rattling? Is there any melted, burned, or discolored plastic near the power cable or power port? If so, your console may need to be replaced.
Take it to the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store to get fast, affordable PS4 repair from our certified experts. We'll get you back up and running as soon as the same day.
Keep your head in the game. We’ll handle the repairs.
Make an appointment at your nearest store now for game console repair.
Try a different power outlet or cable
If your console isn't damaged but your power cable or outlet seems to be defective, plug your device in elsewhere using a new cable. Avoid using a power strip while testing your console, as too many electrical devices can overload the circuit and create a fire hazard.
Clean your console
Over time, dust can build up in your PS4 and cause it not to start. To fix this, try cleaning your console with compressed air in and around the power port. Make sure to blow the dust out of your machine's vent holes and slats as well.
A nice warm console is also the perfect hiding spot for bugs to make a second home. When too many get inside, your PS4 won't be able to turn on. If you suspect there is an infestation, stop by the nearest uBreakiFix® by Asurion or Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions™ store to have them professionally removed.
Restart your device in Safe Mode
If a software issue is causing your PS4 not to start, restarting it in Safe Mode can help clear up the issue. Here's how:
- Turn your system completely off by holding the power button for 3 seconds and unplug any cables attaching it to other devices, like your controller or television, but keep your power cable plugged in.
- Push the Power button on your PS4 and hold it down until you hear two beeps (this should take about 8 seconds). After the second beep, you should see a black screen. From here the system will boot up in Safe Mode.
- Connect your controller to your PS4 with a USB cable, then press the PS button in the middle of the controller.
- A list of options will appear onscreen. Select Restart System.
Factory reset your device
Try this step as a last resort if none of the above steps have worked. This will wipe your hard drive clean, so you won't be able to access any of your saved games or data. To complete a factory reset from Safe Mode, check out our article on how to reboot your PS4.
General tips to keep your PS4 running smoothly
Follow these guidelines to keep your PS4 working at its best:
- Store your PS4 away from the ground in a dry, clean, and well-ventilated area.
- Keep your console away from any heat sources or direct sunlight.
- Make sure to back up your PS4 data and trophies to an external USB or hard drive at least once a month so you won't lose your hard-earned stats if you have to factory reset your device in the future.
Don't let a glitched controller mean game over
The Asurion Home+ protection plan offers peace of mind for all of your eligible home tech, including your favorite gaming systems, for less than $1 per day. From graphical glitches to faulty drives, we cover your video game console and original controller from the unexpected breakdown—no matter where or when you purchased it. Learn more at asurion.com/homeplus.
*The Asurion® trademarks and logos are the property of Asurion, LLC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Asurion is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.*