When you’re watching YouTube® videos or reading an ebook on your iPhone®, sometimes you want to flip your screen for a wider layout. But what if your iPhone screen won’t rotate? We’ll show you what to do.
At Asurion, our experts help millions of people get the most out of their tech, whether they need to fix a screen glitch or avoid OLED screen burn on their iPhone. Here’s our guide to iPhone screen rotation.
How to rotate the screen on your iPhone
Follow these steps to rotate your phone screen from a vertical to a horizontal view:
- Unlock your iPhone using your passcode, Touch ID®, or Face ID®.
- Open the app you want to use. When the video or picture you want to see appears, rotate your iPhone so you’re holding it horizontally.
- If auto-rotate is turned on, the screen should automatically switch to match the way you’re holding it—in this case, the wide view.
- If the screen doesn’t switch to a horizontal view, you’ll need to unlock your screen.
How to unlock your iPhone screen to rotate your view
Depending on your iPhone model, here’s what to do if your screen rotation lock is on:
- Swipe down from the top-right corner to access your Control Center.
- Find and tap the lock icon (a lock with an arrow curving around it), to unhighlight it.
- Your screen should now rotate freely.
What if my iPhone screen still won’t rotate?
Still having trouble getting your iPhone screen out of the vertical view? Many apps like Netflix® and YouTube allow you to rotate your phone’s screen. But some apps, like TikTok®, may not. If you’re still having screen rotation issues, here are a few possible fixes:
- Restart the app. A simple restart may fix any app glitches.
- Restart your device. Your iPhone may just need a fresh start to rotate your screen for you.
Tried these steps and still need help? We got you. Get your tech problem solved when you call or chat with an expert now.