Lost the remote again? We've all been there. Good thing there's another way to control your TV: With Google Home®, you can control your Samsung® TV with your voice and leave digging through couch cushions for someone else. You might like it so much you'll ditch the remote entirely. We'll show you how.
At Asurion, we make tech easy. From repairing your favorite devices to showing you how to get the most out of your gadgets—we've got you covered.
Here's how to connect your Samsung TV to Google® Home.
What you'll need to connect your TV to Google Home
Google Home lets you control your TV from an app, speaker, or smart hub. To connect these devices, you'll need the right equipment, including:
- A Google smart speaker or smart hub.
- A Samsung smart TV (2018 models or newer).
- A stable Wi-Fi connection.
- The Samsung SmartThings app.
- The Google Home app.
If you haven't already, log in to—or create—your Samsung account. On your TV, Go to Settings > General > System Manager and select your account. You'll also want to have your TV and your smart device—phone, tablet, or smart hub—connected to the same private Wi-Fi network so the apps can find your smart TV.
How smart is your home?
Calculate your smart devices, bust common myths, and explore tips from your neighborhood tech experts.
How to add your Samsung TV to Google Home
Next, start setting up those apps—starting with Samsung SmartThings. You have to add your TV to SmartThings before you can connect your TV to Google Home, so make sure to connect to that app first.
Connect your smart TV to Samsung SmartThings:
- From the SmartThings app, select Devices, and tap the “+" button.
- Tap Add device.
- With your TV turned on, select TV > Samsung > Next and allow SmartThings to access the TV's microphone.
- Choose the location and room for your screen. Select your Samsung TV, and a PIN code will appear on the screen.
- Enter the PIN on your phone. Once the process is complete, a notification will pop up stating the device name, location, and room. Select Done.
Connect your smart TV to Google Home:
- From the Google Home app, select Devices and tap the “+" button.
- Tap Set up device > Works with Google.
- Search for SmartThings.
- Log in to your SmartThings account, and tap Continue > Authorize.
- Select the Samsung TV that you connected to SmartThings, then click Next, create a home for your Samsung TV, set a name for it, then select it.
Use Google voice commands with your Samsung TV
After adding your Samsung TV to Google Home, you can use voice commands to take care of basic tasks, like turning the TV on or off and adjusting the volume.
Here's some voice commands to try on your TV:
- “Hey Google, turn on the TV."
- “Hey Google, turn the volume up/down on the TV."
- “Hey Google, change the input to HDMI 2 on the TV."
If your Samsung TV is on the newer side—2021 or newer—it probably came with a built-in Google Assistant™. With that feature, your TV doesn't need a smart hub or smart speaker to hear your voice. It also lets you use a wider range of commands, like “Hey Google, play Survivor" or “Hey Google, search for Binging With Babish on YouTube." Forget the remote and use voice commands instead.
Looking for more ways to make your home smarter? Check out our guide.
Make sure your smart home is protected
An Asurion Home+ plan provides coverage for nearly all the technology in your home with one simple plan. Laptops, tablets, TVs, gaming consoles, smart thermostats, and so much more—even future purchases. Plus, you'll get 24/7 live expert support and robust digital security. Learn more about Asurion Home+ coverage and how you can get peace-of-mind electronics protection.